- All people should be respected and treated fairly, regardless of race, gender, beliefs, age, religion, ability, sexual orientation and economic means.
Policies at KL&S reflect inclusiveness and respect. We are open to all who wish to contribute to our organization or attend our programs.
- Learning is a life-long process.
KL&S recognizes that people experience changes throughout their lives. We
support all adults who wish to upgrade, attend college preparation programs,
pre-employment programs or our program for newcomers to Canada. Our family literacy programming supports parents by providing resources and information
they can use to support literacy development in the home
- All adults should have access to opportunities for upgrading their literacy, numeracy and basic computer skills for full participation in society.
Our programs are offered free of charge.
- In working cooperatively with the community, we build a more literate society.
KL&S enjoys many partnerships within the community, including long-time partners St. Lawrence College, area school boards, Kingston Frontenac Public Library, the Ontario Early Years Centre and Better Beginnings for Kingston Children.
- In providing opportunities for volunteers to realize their potential, to help others and to support their community.
KL&S is dedicated to making volunteer opportunities meaningful to both the volunteer and our organization. We are privileged to work with more than 100 volunteers, many of whom have been with us for a number of years.
- Our programs and services must be responsive to community needs and provide opportunities for people to develop essential employment skills.
In addition to our regular programming, KL&S offers occupational curricula (pre-employment) programs as well as unique programming such as Road Crew and Construction Certificates (ROCKS) and a driver’s licence preparation course.
- Every individual at Kingston Literacy & Skills has the opportunity to make positive contributions to the growth and development of the organization.
KL&S supports the contributions of staff, students and volunteers. We involve people by providing opportunities for feedback on critical decisions, such as our recent name change and new logo development. We continually ask for input and seek new ways to involve not only staff, but volunteers and students as well.
- These core values are reflected in all that we say and do.
Whether it is developing a new program, identifying a volunteer opportunity or engaging a student, these are the guiding values on which we base all of our efforts.