Print motivation is children’s interest in and enjoyment of books.
Children who enjoy books will read more.
Children become good readers by practicing.
To develop print motivation children need to:
- Value and enjoy reading
- View reading as an activity to be shared with others
- See reading as a way to learn about their interests
- Read widely for enjoyment and for gathering information
- Be at ease with various formats and genres.
You can encourage print motivation in children by:
- Beginning to read books early in children’s lives, from infancy is best.
- Making book-sharing a special time with lots of one-to-one interaction.
- Letting the babies and toddlers see you reading.
- Taking the children to the library from a young age.